Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring with Snow

When Jordan pulled the curtains open yesterday morning I couldn't believe what I saw, snow! April 18th and the ground was covered in snow.  I spent the day playing and napping with Ava. For dinner I had originally planned on making a stir fry, but I had purchased a couple avocados that needed to be used or they would be useless. When I can find good avocados I make this salad as much as possible, and if you try it once you will be hooked for life. The original recipe is from Ina Garten's show Barefoot Contessa. I made some small changes that will knock your socks off. Enjoy!

Guacamole Salad

Ingredients
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 small can of mexicorn, drained
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup small diced red onion
  • 2 minced jalapeno peppers ( I keep the seeds for spice but they can be seeded)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (you can use less, but I like it spicy)
  • 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced

Directions

Place the tomatoes, corn, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature. It's good as a salad, or some people prefer it with tortilla chips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment